Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:30:28 -0500
From:      Mark Conway Wirt <mark@intrepid.net>
To:        Casper <casper@acc.am>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Service providing for virtual users

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 09:57:48PM +0400, Casper wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> Are there any program product to provide FTP/WWW/mail/POP3 services
> without creating users on Unix machine?
>
> So i need to have list (database) of virtual users without shells and UIDs
> , but they'll able to upload and access to their homepages on server ?

AFAIK, there isn't an integrated way of doing what you want to do.

Mail is fairly easy.  Qmail supports the concept of a virtual user,
provided that you use a POP client that understands the the virtual user
structure -- see www.qmail.org for more information.

WWW/FTP is more problematical.  In reality, a web server doesn't care
about user ID's (provided your not using "~" paths), the real rub
is getting the pages uploaded.  There are a few options, and all of them
have weaknesses.

First, if you use wu-ftp, you can create ftp accounts of type guest.
Now, if you do this, you *will* have user accounts on the system, but
these can be chrooted and pointed to a non-loggable shell (which still
must be in /etc/shells), but it will limit the user's access to your
disk.  They won't be able to log in, and in FTP transactions they will
only have access to the portion of the disk (though the chroot) that
you define.

Another (horrible) option is to use the FrontPage extensions.  FrontPage
can be set up to use virtual users, but this forces the user to use FP,
with is a Bad Idea (tm).

Maybe someone on the list knows of other options for the uploading of
pages.  People are working on standards-based methods for uploading
pages via http, but I don't think they are ready for prime time.  Once
they are, there's nothing preventing people from creating virtual-user
aware clients....

--Mark