Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:18:14 -0400
From:      Brian Lynn <brian.lynn@gmail.com>
To:        "Owen.G" <owen.g@onlinehome.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.4 port (for Chipset CLE266/VT8235 Graphics) - timescale?

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:29:31 +0200, Owen.G <owen.g@onlinehome.de> wrote:
> I also bought a EPIA Mini-ITX in early June before seeing the posting
> that the video wasn't supported by X on FreeBSD (Linux - supposedly yes,
> BSD not yet).
>
> The previous responder (thanks Erik) said, "the CLE266 chipset will be
> supported in the port of XFree86 4.4"
>
> I just had a look at the FreeBSD Ports page:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi
>
> and there's no sign of XFree86 4.4 yet.
>
> Questions:
> 1, Does anybody know the timescale of the port for XFree86 4.4?
> 2, Will the port of XFree86 4.4 be important enough that it will be
> announced on the "freebsd-announce" mailing list?
>
> (I did get an X windows manager running on the VGA S server but it was
> too low resolution to be useful.)
>
> Thanks in anticipation,

You can also do this by using the driver from XFree86's binary packages for 4.4.
Once you have XFree86-4 installed using the port, do a portupgrade of
the -Server port using the 4.3.99 snapshot port:

portupgrade -f -o x11-servers/XFree86-4-Server-snap XFree86-Server

Then you need to grab the via_drv.o file from the XFree86 binary
package.  I just installed the whole thing to a temp dir, then copied
over the driver module.  From XFree86.0.log:

(II) LoadModule: "via"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/via_drv.o
(II) Module via: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        Module class: XFree86 Video Driver
        ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.7

-Brian