Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 07:31:18 +1100
From:      Eddie Irvine <eirvine@tpgi.com.au>
To:        Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>
Cc:        FBSDQ <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NIC Speed

Hi Patrick,

Good to see we're getting there.

Patrick Seal wrote:

> Thanks! It was on Full Duplex, I put it only half, but now it's only on
> average 85kb/s?

You've turned duplexing off on all machines, right?

No plug and play on Freebsd, right (or the IRQ the card is on?)
No conflicts at boot time (boot with -c then choose visual) right?

Lets say your NIC is called "ed0" . Run "netstat -I ed0 -w 5" and then
do a big transfer. What does it show? No errors?

OK then. One alternative is to just blow $20 for a Realtek8029 based
NE2000 card. Not the most outstanding but known to work fine with
FreeBSD (so long as you've got the duplexing set correctly).

Intel and digital cards are meant to be much better still, but cost a
bit more.

Eddie.