Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2003 19:32:38 -0500
From:      Gerard Samuel <fbsd-questions@trini0.org>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving from a single to dual CPU setup

On Friday 26 December 2003 03:28 pm, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Gerard Samuel <fbsd-questions@trini0.org> writes:
> > I did a bit of googling, and came up with an instance, that there may be
> > a problem with FreeBSD 4.9/SMP/ACPI combo.
> > Even though (well at least I believe) ACPI is off, Im having something
> > similar to what this google search was saying.
> > Maybe this weekend, Ill try backing down to 4.8 and see how she does
> > there...
>
> The fact that it hangs at different places each time argues for a
> hardware problem of some sort...

The thought did cross my mind.
At the time I was putting the box together, I was also mixing PC133 & PC100
memory to which I've come to realise that the board is picky about that (also
found a reference via google that supports that notion).
Currently Im only using the PC133 memory, and what Ill do is try booting up
with the 2nd processor installed, and pay attention to see where it hangs (it
was late the other night, and I don't remember if I was trying the 2nd cpu
with the PC100 memory).
Ill report back on my findings...

Thanks