Date:      Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:07:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@crodrigues.org>, james@freebsd.org, dumbbell@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Move reiserfs code to src/sys/gnu/fs?

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 03:30:50AM +0100, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> > Due to the increasing number of filesystems with GNU licenses
> > being imported into the tree (Reiserfs was just imported, and
> > sometime in the future, XFS may be imported), I suggest
> > that a new directory be created:
> >
> > src/sys/gnu/fs
> ..
> > At some point, it would be nice to move ext2fs to
> > src/sys/gnu/fs, but that would involve more work (a repo copy).
> >
> > What do people think?
>
> Keep ext2fs and reiserfs at the same place.
> I don't see what's wrong with src/sys/gnu as that directory now contains
> only 3 subdirs, so its not like its over flowing.  But end the end I
> don't really care as long as both these file systems live in the same
> place (and not take months to make it so).

I agree with David, I think it's too deep a directory structure.  I doubt
we'll ever have much gnu kernel code and this just makes it a little more
painful to get around.

If you want to cleanup the sys/ namespace, we really should have an arch
directory as NetBSD does.  Or we should move the remaining filesystems
into fs/, which has not been completed.