Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 02:09:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        John Murphy <bigotfo@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there a summary of man stuff?

John Murphy writes:
> Bruce Petro wrote:
> >1. Sending mail from mail.com does not wrap. I need
> >   to hit enter myself and wrap it.
> (good) way to go...

Yes, thanks for dealing with this!

> >2. Mike wins the most helpful answer!  See text below.
> I wish I knew Sed that well...

I wish I didn't :-(. If I were going to do this regularly, I'd
probably do it as a perl script.

> >5. One possible addition for someone - produce some summary=20
> >   and subject-related html pages for this (or share where=20
> >   there are some).
> Install the doc distro.  You then have the entire manual in many
> languages and lots of other good stuff as well, all in html.

Once you do that, if you feel like adding a summary, you can do it -
and submit it, even.

The problem with such a summary is that the set of available man pages
is highly variable. The set in /usr/man may be fixed after you
install, but the set in /usr/local should change every time you
install or deinstall a package. That's harder to deal with.

	<mike