Date:      Sat, 10 May 2003 21:08:38 +0200
From:      "L. Jankok" <lj@2u2.nu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   make release headaches

Hi there,

When I do a make buildworld and try to do a make release it will fail
telling that it needs the CVSROOT directory.

I do cvsup /etc/cvs-supfile and receive nothing ;
	# /etc/cvs-supfile
	*default host=cvsup3.nl.freebsd.org
	*default base=/usr
	*default prefix=/usr
	*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_8
	*default delete use-rel-suffix
	*default compress
	cvsroot-all

If I remove tag=RELENG_4_8 from the above I will receive the CVS* directories.
I wonder why I have to remove tag=RELENG_4_8 to be able to receive the CVS dirs.

I use the script below to me make the release, and it fails telling me the
following ; Cannot check out files into the repository itself.
Instead of moving the CVS* files to /home/newcvs I altered
*default prefix=/usr to *default prefix=/home/newcvs and did a
cvsup /etc/cvs-supfile again and also changed CVSROOT to /home/newcvs.
Now another error occurs ; there is no repository /home/newcvs/src.
A more /usr/src/release/Makefile showed me that I need to make
three symlinks in /home/newcvs/{doc,ports,src}.
This is already going much to far for a simple procedure.. And yet
again I will receive another error : no such tag RELENG_4_8

If I change RELEASETAG from RELENG_4_8 to 4.8 make release will proceed
(I tend to abort this mission now but I am curios where this will stop..
CVS insists on 4.8 Release all the time while cvsup has no problem..).
Again I will receive an error message;
cd: can't cd to /usr/release/usr/src/sys/conf..
and it stops here for me ;) .. going further will feel like remaking
frankenstein.

Can somebody explain to me why the above is going so terribly wrong ?.
I tried man release ans the FreeBSD handbook without luck.

	# define needed variables for make release
	CHROOTDIR=/usr/release
	BUILDNAME=4.8-RELENG
	CVSROOT=/usr
	RELEASETAG=RELENG_4_8
	NOPORTS=YES
	MAKE_ISOS=YES
	export CHROOTDIR BUILDNAME CVSROOT RELEASETAG NOPORTS MAKE_ISOS

	# make a ftp install dir and ISO's
	cd /usr/src/release
	make release

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.