Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 02:07:29 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Anderberg <hundra@df.lth.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   fbsd current + Mylex raid (dac960) reboot after install fails

Hi!

I've been trying to install the current Fbsd 4.0 (dated 99120x) onto a
machine which has a Mylex AcceleRAID 250 (dac960) card on it. The
boot-floppies find the mylex-card and the installation seems to work out
great.

When installing i've used the novice installation. When in the "Fdisk
Partition editor i've chosen" 'A' (for Use entire disk) followed by an
'S' to make the fbsd slice bootable. Finally i pressed 'Yes' (to
remain cooperative with any future possible operating systems). I chose
to use the FreeBSD Boot Manager. When in the disklabel editor i once again
chose 'A' (to automagically make the partitions). The disk-geometry is set
manually according to settings i had on a previous linux-installation on
the same machine since fbsd seems to have problems detecting the
diskgeometry in a corect way. Disksize is 9.1 gig raid 1.

Sofar so good.. The installation runs smoothly and i exit the installer to
watch the machine reboot and to see fbsd booting. Unfortunately it doesnt.
The bootloader appears to load fine, but when it (i'm guessing here) tries
to load the fbsd kernel it (the kernel?) panics. The result is a screen
that contains alot of debug (?) info plus a line saying 'Invalid Slice'.

I've tried installing numerous times using different settings in fdisk /
disklabel editor without any success.

I've though of 2 things (me guessing again) that could be wrong:

1. Geometry (it works perfectly in linux, shouldn't the same disk geometry
work in fbsd?) - can i manually verify this somehow?

2. The kernel that is installed on the hd - does it include support for
the raidcard? How do i verify this?

If anyone have any clues what might be wrong, please share so i can get
this thing working. I hope i've included sufficient information in this
letter.

Kindest Regards

Martin Anderberg