Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:46:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      seb11@ciaoweb.it
To:        Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for FreeBSD status reports

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Scott Long wrote:

> All,
>
> It's time again for the bi-monthly FreeBSD status reports.  We're on an
> upward trend in numbers of reports that are submitted, and I'm hoping to
> get 25 this time.  As always, reports are encouraged for anything that
> relates to FreeBSD development, documentation, independent projects, or
> anything else that might be interesting to the community as a whole.
> Reports should be one to two paragraphs in length.  The template can be
> found at http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-sample.xml
>
> Submissions are due to monthly@freebsd.org by July 15.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

to Scott Long & All ...

  1st, I apologize for my poor english ...

I've been using unix/unix-like systems on my PC since Win-3.x:
Interactive, ScoUnix and now Linux; I've tryed FreeBSD and fount it very
strong and interesting.

  At the moment I have two cd sets: FreeBSD 4.9 and 5.0. I found 5.0 quite
confortable but the main problem is my internet connection: just a 56k
modem and not a quicker system like ADSL or similar.
  The problem that arises is due to the live download and build of ports
(about 7000 ports, as far as I know!).

  I ask, please, hoping for the best:

  1. could be 5.0 a good base to start to join a quite STABLE
     configuration?

  2. where I can get (order and buy) tarball ports on cd's and, in such
     case, what should be the right order to get the appropriate versions,
     according to the level of patching and evolution of the FreeBSD
     version (non matter which, 5.0 or different ...) I'll be using?

Thanks a LOT !!
  pino

--
"Quanto doveva rimordere la coscienza, un
tempo! che buoni denti aveva! E oggi? cos'e'