Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 01:06:07 -0500
From:      Damon Anton Permezel <dap@damon.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RC, Dell PowerEdge 4600, PCI boot-time bus walk

Doug,
PCI-X works OK.  The ServerWorks-HE chipset is not well supported.

The Dell PowerEdge 4600 I have either has h/w problems or for some
strange reason cards in the last two slots (6,7) are not useable under
FreeBSD 4.6-RC.

I have moved the qlogic card into slot 3, and it works fine.
The PCI bus holding slots 6 and 7 seems to be numbered bus 255.
Experience has shown that this is incorrect, as devices plugged into those
slots can be probed on bus 15.

The PCI BUS holding slots 2,3 and 4,5 work fine, with PCI-X cards
running at 100Mhz,64 bits or old legacy cards.

Cheers,
Damon.

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 12:55:46PM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> On Mon, 20 May 2002, Damon Anton Permezel wrote:
>
> > 4.6-RC (which I am assuming is "release candidate") still doesn't
> > walk the entire PCI bus and find all devices for a Dell Poweredge 4600.
> >
> > Below, interested parties will be able to peruse the `boot -v' results,
> > followed by `scanpci -v1'.
> > I have a single Qlogic F/C  card plugged into one of the PCI/X slots.
>
> This is a bit dated but I want to put in another prod on this since it
> came up recently.
>
> What is the status of PCI-X support on FreeBSD? Does it require anything
> beyond standard PCI support? If so, who's working on it? Hardware is now
> out there ... :-)
>
> Doug White                    |  FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org

Damon Permezel
dap@damon.com