Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:03:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
Cc:        Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: App core-files being dumped with 0 size on 3.3-STABLE

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Jamie Norwood wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 11:09:58AM -0700, Parag Patel wrote:
> >
> > I just updated this morning to 3.3-STABLE from 3.2-STABLE, and I have
> > both my ulimit and /etc/login.conf set so that coredumpsize is zero.
> > Until 3.3-RELEASE, this prevented any core file from being generated.
> > In 3.3-RELEASE, I now get a zero-length file.
> >
> > I see from the CVS log that some cleanup was done to the core-dump code
> > in kern/kern_sig.c on Sep 1, 1999.  This code has a comment in it saying
> > that this is now the expected behavior.
>
> This is how I always have seen *NIX systems behave...
>
> You could write a script based off the find command that you could run once
> a day that would go through and remove all core files...

I've answered this question before...

sysctl -w kern.corefile="/dev/null"

ought to work.  If it is somehow broken, please tell me and I'll look
into it.

-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer
   - http://www.wintelcom.net/ [bright@wintelcom.net]