Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:42:56 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        dan@langille.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: US checking accounts for non-US residents

At 08:10 2001-06-27 +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
>At 12:48 AM -0500 6/27/01, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:
>
>>  They are located in Texas, but as long as you are not a Pennsylvania
>>  resident, just about anyone can open an account there (it is against
>>  PA law, not against USAA policy).
>
>	My father-in-law works as USAA in Texas, but he works for an
>insurance company.  Are they one and the same?

Yes. In fact, the reason PA residents cannot open a USAA bank account
is the PA law prohibits the same company to be in both insuarance
and banking business.

I found out about USAA about 5-6 years ago when the Money Magazine
named them the best bank in America. They keep an amazingly low
profile - no advertising and similar stuff. That is probably how they
can afford to offer free banking services.

Even before they got on the Internet, I was able to do all transactions
over the phone (1-800-531-BANK). Now, of course, I do it all through
their web site.

Cheers,
Adam

---