Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 12:55:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@genome.Stanford.EDU>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        Mark Hannon <mark@seeware.dialix.oz.au>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More EIDE questions

On Tue, 6 Feb 1996, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> It seems that Mark Hannon said:
> > The system I am considering is a new 486 motherboard with
> > ISA and VLB slots.  I have a few questions....
>
> VLB seems pretty dead now... I'd recommend buying PCI.
>
> > 1) I see in the handbook that VLB busses are OK but I can't
> >    see how I should configure this for the kernel.  Do I just
> >    use the isa0 entry??
>
> Yes, there are no special considerations kernel-wise for VLB.
>
> > 2) On the same line of questioning, what devices can I put on
> >    the VLB bus?  I can either get a new EIDE controller to run
> >    from the ISA bus or from one of the VLB slots.  I assume
> >    that it is the same wdc[01] I use irrespective of which bus
> >    I stick the card in???
>
> Yes.
>
> > 3) I presently have two IDE HDs and am planning on buying a new
> >    shiny one when I upgrade.  According to the salesman I should
> >    be able to drive 4 HDs off an EIDE drive - Is this true for
>
> We don't support E-IDE. So if 4 drives are a special E-IDE feature, I don't
> think it would work.

Hmmm... I'm not sure if that's correct.  I am running 3 hard drives on an
EIDE interface card as wd0, wd1, wd2, and see no problems at all.  Yeah,
it has both wdc0 and wdc1 on the card.

> But, really,  do  yourself  a favor, buy    SCSI and forget   all these IDE
> specifics. Just plug and play (the real one, not the PnP  aka Plug and Pray
> :-))
>
> You won't regret it.
> --
> Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
>    FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #5: Sun Feb  4 03:11:17 MET 1996

                /  Howard Lew                            \
               <   Email: hlew@genome.stanford.edu        >
                \  http://www.shoppersnet.com            /