Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2007 23:33:53 +0100
From:      nocturnal <nocturnal@swehack.se>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which file to request SIOCGIFMAC on?

Hi

The original plan is to only run it on FreeBSD 5 and higher, actually
only 6 by now. It's a program i'm writing for work and at work the most
active servers run FreeBSD 6 and are updated frequently. The ones with
older versions don't run anything of interest.

I am buying a MacBook for personal use though so it would be nice to run
it on osx. I wouldn't like to start using another library just to get
the hardware address of an interface though, that seems kinda overkill
for what should be a simple task. The program is already using libpcap
but that is included in FreeBSD by default so you don't have to install it.

Do you have any idea of why i'm getting this error from ioctl when i'm
doing what the manual says i should do? I am of course running it as
root to because the libpcap operations require it.

What might help me is to take a look at the source of that
libnet_get_hwaddr function in libnet. I'll try that, thank you very much
for the tip.

So far i've been trying to look at the source for ifconfig to figure out
how it gets the hardware address. Of course it uses SIOCGIFMAC but i
can't find the socket it opens because i can't find where it uses the
maclabel_status function.

Med vänliga hälsningar

Stefan Midjich aka nocturnal
[Swehack] http://swehack.se