Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 11:15:36 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        "Alain G. Fabry" <fabry@panam.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Move users from one system to another.

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 at 15:28 SAT, Alain G. Fabry wrote:

> I have just installed a new machine running FreeBSD 2.2.7. Have an old
> machine (FreeBSD 2.2.7) with 5 users and I want to transfer these users to
> the new machine.
> How can I go about this to make this move transparent to them?
> Includes moving mailboxes, users, password, files, etc.

Manually, I'm afraid.

- Check that /etc/group on the new box contains the same entries as on the
  old one.  Copy it from the old to the new if necessary.
- Run vipw on the old box, and copy all the lines pertaining to the 5 users
  to a separate file.  On the new box, run vipw and yank in these lines.
  That should create the users with the same UIDs and other parameters.
- tar up the users' home directories and transfer them across.
- Remember the mailboxes!
- You might want to do a find through the entire filesystem for files
  belonging to these users.  You can "feed" the result of this find to tar as
  well.
- ... and I probably forgot some things as well.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878