Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2001 16:36:45 -0500
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@sneakerz.org>
To:        Jonah Kuo <jonahk@ms39.hinet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mp is slower than sp kernel.

* Jonah Kuo <jonahk@ms39.hinet.net> [010707 16:09] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If this has been answered, I'm sorry!
>
> This is what I observed and I'm really not sure how would this happen,
> but I'm sure my mp kernel is faster several months ago. So asking you
> professionals would be my first try, thanks!
>
> The following is my tail'ed output of make world for sp and mp, respectively:

> This two 'make world' are using same copy of anything:
>
>  * smp box. (pentium200-mmx * 2) asus mb. It's only a test box, nobody
>    uses it except me.
>  * /etc/make.conf
>  * kernel config
>  * source, which I cvsup'ed at Jul 7 16:06
>  * I always do a 'chflags -R noschg and rm -rf /usr/obj/*' before
>    making world.

How do expect to gain more performance when running "make world"
unless you tell make to run more than one job in parallel?

Try doing "make -jN world" where N is some number from 4 to 12
or so, you should see the improvement.

As far as the reasoning for the slowdown for non-parallel compiles,
the reason for that is that managing two processors is more expensive
than the single processor model, so there's some overhead to take
care of.

-Alfred