Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:28:34 -0500
From:      Michael Clark <MClark@Nemschoff.com>
To:        'Angelin Lalev' <lalev@sv-bg.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: what is S.M.A.R.T and do I need it when I'm using freebsd (5. x...)

SMART is not needed for anything.  It will only warn you when your hard
disks are going bad.
I don't ever remember anything about it actually remapping sectors.

Its a hardware function, so it has nothing to do with FreeBSD really.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This electronic transmission, including all
attachments, is directed in confidence solely to the person(s) to whom it is
addressed, or an authorized recipient, and may not otherwise be distributed,
copied or disclosed. The contents of the transmission may also be subject to
intellectual property rights and all such rights are expressly claimed and
are not waived. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender immediately by return electronic transmission and then
immediately delete this transmission, including all attachments, without
copying, distributing or disclosing same.