Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 1995 18:58:36 -0500
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: atapi.flp problem SOLVED!

> I finally figured out why the atapi.flp images you've made don't work!
> Basically, you can't have a "disk  wd? at wdc? drive ?" line on the
> controller where your CD-ROM is located or the probing code will ONLY
> check for a hard drive, and not a CD-ROM drive at this location.

If this is true, I don't understand how the SNAP floppy finds
the CDROM on one system of mine and not another, given that they
both have the CDROM on the secondary controller.

To recap:

The SNAP floppy fails to probe the Toshiba CDROM on a pentium
system, and succeeds probing a Sony CDROM on a 486.  Seems
like it could be the CDROM, the bios, timing, or anything.

Robert Withrow, Tel: +1 617 598 4480, Fax: +1 617 598 4430 Net: witr@rwwa.COM
     R.W. Withrow Associates, 319 Lynnway Suite 201, Lynn MA 01901 USA