Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 16:52:52 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is my new kernel so big?

Mark Ovens wrote:

> :) Yes, I'm thinking about cvsup'ing to 4.0 now. Have you done so, and
> if so did you have any problems?

Well, a few things went hideously wrong because I wasn't sure which
order to do things in. I built a new kernel first, as I think you're
supposed to because of the signal changes, but IIRC I had to move
/modules out of the way so it couldn't load out of date modules which
seemed to cause a panic. Then I screwed up the devices in /dev which
is a bit of a pain to fix when you can't mount the root filesystem
read/write (fsdb was useful for me though).

Whatever you do, you'll probably do a better job that I did. :-)

Basically, I think you need to something like:

. build new kernel, install it, mv /modules /modules.old, reboot. (Make
sure you compile support into the kernel for anything you previously
used a module for.)

. cd /usr/src/sbin/mknod; make all install clean
  (needed for MAKEDEV to work)

. buildworld

. mv /dev /dev.old
  mkdir /dev
  cd /dev
  cp /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV .
  sh MAKEDEV all
  MAKEDEV any disks, e.g. sh MAKEDEV ad0s1 ad0s1a etc.
  remake any symlinks, e.g. mouse -> cuaa0, modem -> cuaa1, whatever.

. changes disks in /etc/fstab and /etc/rc.conf from wd to ad, but keep a
copy so you can put the old copy back with fsdb if things get screwed.

. installworld, reboot.

#include <stddisclaimer.h>

You should probably make a backup before starting, in case it goes
hideously wrong. If you get to a point where you can't mount root
read/write, you may be able to use fsdb to fix some things.

Good luck, and don't blame me if things go wrong. ;-)

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D