Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2001 10:28:10 +0100
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        jose@we.lc.ehu.es, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, imp@harmony.village.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/src/UPDATING

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001 17:48:31 -0800 (PST)
Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:

MD>     Whenever ipfw changes people who update their kernel and do not reinstall
MD>     world (or at leaset the ipfw binary) often wind up with unaccessible
MD>     machines when they reboot, because /etc/rc* cannot load the IPFW rule
MD>     set.

	I rather thought UPDATING was there to highlight problems that would
trip somoene doing the *normal* upgrade procedure. If it were to contain
a notice everytime something needed world and kernel in sync then it would
be (I suspect) too noisy to serve the main purpose well. As it is I can look
at the top of UPDATING and feel confident that a normal buildworld, kernel
installworld sequence will work, or know that it won't and what to do about
it.

	OTOH, dirpref may justify an entry since there were things that you
*may* want to do when upgrading.

MD>     It's happened to me many, many times.  It's extremely annoying.   An
MD>     UPDATING entry is the minimum that should be added.  It would also be

	I see your problem - but please somewhere else. Perhaps just some
indication of the oldest kernel (sources) that can be expected to run the
world (and why earlier ones break for the luxury touch) in a separate file.

PS: A big thank you to Warner for UPDATING being there.

--
C:>WIN                                          |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                    |A Better Way To Focus The Sun