Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:23:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Scott B. Gale" <scott@doheny.beach.net>
To:        "Randy B. Lim" <randy.lim@aht.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to change the tape size in the dump command

It looks like a hardware problem -- either the tape or the drive is
not behaving properly.  It is a pretty big tape and hard to pull.

The line below, "DUMP: estimated 4384518 tape blocks on 0.15 tape(s)"
tells me that the dump program itself is behaving as it should, it
recognizes that the backup will be about 4GB and that it will take up
about 15% of the 30GB tape. If it is really a 30GB tape then the "End of
tape detected" is probably generated because the tape had ceased to move,
not because of an end-of-tape marker.  The first thing I would try is
another tape and/or cleaning the tape drive.

Good luck!

Scott B. Gale
Dana Point Communications