Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:21:26 +0100
From:      Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Increasing the size of dev_t and ino_t

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 11:26:38AM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:

> I'm very interested in seeing arlaxfs move into the source tree,
> especially if Arla people are willing to help with the inevitable cache
> coherency problem of it being there.  Do you have in mind that this would
> be "contrib" code, or local code?  Presumably local if we want to adapt it
> more to our locking model.  The sooner we get it in the tree, the less
> work to do it later after more API sweeps go through.

The arla people seem to be interested in integrating any change we might
send them. That said, I thought it would be contrib code, so that we could
keep it in sync with *BSD and OS X. There is enough modularity in the code
that it can accomodate our locking changes in the future without interfering
with other *BSD code.
That said, it's also true that having it as contrib code means we must
strive to filter changes through them to avoid taking the code off the
vendor branch, so this might be very inconvenient at times.

Basically, I think it's the committer's choice... As I said, I did the
bulk of the job but right now lack the time to properly maintain the
patches. The reason I wanted to get them committed is to be sure they
are not left out of future changes for locking, kse, whatever. I'm going
to send them via private mail to whomever showed interest, and I'll be
available to explain what I did and any missing detail. At this point,
if you or Poul want to commit them as they are as local code and later
sync back with arla, that would be fine for me.

Bye,
	Andrea

--
            Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
     teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.