Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 16:48:09 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: time for another upgrade?

On 13 May 99, at 14:03, David Greenman wrote:

> >On Thu, May 13, 1999 at 02:23:42PM -0400, Adrian Filipi-Martin wrote:

> >> 	I was showing the I/O stats page for ftp.cdrom.com to someone, and
> >> it's quite amazing.  Does anyone have a total on the daily bandwidth
> >> over the last few days.  Has it broken 1TB/day yet?

> >1024^3 > 86400*10^8

Hmmm - should that be 1024^3 or 1000^3?  I suspect it depends on
who you talk to.  The difference is between 1,073,741,824 and
1,000,000,000,000.  Not a big difference - around 7%.

> >There's no way to achieve 1TB/day with fast ethernet - and above
> >I'm assuming a constant stream of 100MBps with no protocol
> >overheads. Take all this into account and you're left with even
> >less :).

>    The current record is 969GB. We'd have to have 0% global packet
> loss and do large packets with everyone to get over the 1TB point
> with fast ethernet. We plan to move to gigabit ethernet at some
> point soon, however.

Perhaps Microsoft should have used cdrom.com to distribute their
last NT service pack.... it was withdrawn the same day it was
released - the demand was more than their systems could tolerate.
They plan to re-release on the 19th.  (I wonder if they hope their
customers will all be off at the Star Wars Episode One on it's
opening day, minimizing the load.  Or if they hope the traffic on the
net opening day will protect them from a heavy load.)

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
If it jams - force it . If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.