Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 16:53:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>, sheldonh@FreeBSD.ORG, pjm@chingiz.cs.ntu.edu.au, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/11934: Port of GNU Nana 2.4

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Bill Fumerola wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Matthew Hunt wrote:
>
> > cd ~/tmp
> > ssh freefall.freebsd.org query-pr -F 42424 | gunshar
> > diff -urN --exclude=CVS /usr/ports/blah/blah blah-new > ~/my.diff
>
> Yet another thing to do, just to update a port. Sometimes that update is a
> 1 character Makefile change with a new md5.
>
> Normally I just eyeball those and change it locally and do a 'make
> makesum'.
>
> Regardless, the same people who submit shar format updates are probably
> the ones who say bad things about how quick committers are to commit
> updates.

You're right (I don't think I have ever found you wrong, on ports,
actually), I was just pointing out that you don't want to discourage
someone who's done a serious amount of work, because of something
relatively trivial.  I know about the one char updates, those are cheap,
I just don't want to see folks who do real work being turned away
without at least some checking to see if their work falls in the trivial
pain class, or the real contribution class.

If it's a real contribution, contributing to FreeBSD shouldn't get too
terribly picky, as long as it's reasonably convenient.  It's not one
rule for all.

> - bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
> - ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |