Date:      Mon, 5 May 1997 15:53:42 +0700 (JVT)
From:      Hendra Sentono <hendra@unix.ukdw.ac.id>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Can't get reply when pinging from inside network

Our BSD 2.1.5-RELEASE configured as a gateway and firewall.
It is installed with 2 network cards and configured to be able to
give Internet connection for the inside network (with one NIC, the
other NIC is connected to the Internet via VSAT connection)

# parts of sysconfig
router="routed"
gateway=YES
firewall=YES

The problem is when a computer from the inside network try to ping
any Internet address (such as www.yahoo.com), it can recognize the
IP address, but it receives 'Request time out' message.

Most of our inside network computers are Win95 with TCP/IP installed,
DNS enabled (we configure the BSD machine as name server, too).

In this situation our inside computers can't ftp-ing any outside
sites (but it can ftp-ing the BSD machine and also some other BSD
machines that have the same position/connected to the Internet
directly as the former)

Is the configuration false? Is there something wrong with TCP/IP
utilities (ftp, ping, etc) in Win95?
(please note that our knowledge about what exactly a firewall/gateway
in BSD term is just a little)

Thanks in advanced.

Hendra Sentono				| hendra@students.ukdw.ac.id
Duta Wacana Christian University	| http://www.ukdw.ac.id/