Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:55:51 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@portaone.com>
Cc:        portmgr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ccache support for make buildworld/make release

--SNIs70sCzqvszXB4

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 07:21:37PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Folks,
>=20
> I wonder if anyone considered adding ccache support for=20
> buildworld/release targets. ccache is a tool, which wraps around gcc,=20
> allowing to cache object files generated by the compiler to greatly=20
> speed-up compilation of the same code over and over=20
> (http://ccache.samba.org/).
>=20
> It acts as a caching pre-processor to C/C++ compilers, using the -E=20
> compiler switch and a hash to detect when a compilation can be satisfied=
=20
> from cache.  This often results in a 5 to 10 times speedup.
>=20
> It can benefit both individual developers (less burden to test changes=20
> via full buildworld), and tinderboxes.
>=20
> Another interesting use is for package building cluster - it should be=20
> possible to set-up NFS folder shared among all nodes to hold cached=20
> objects for all ports in the tree to reduce turnaround time by the order=
=20
> of magnitude.
>=20
=46rom the URL you provided:

: How to use it                                                            =
                          =20
:                                                                          =
                          =20
:    You can use ccache in two ways. The first is just to prefix your
:    compile commands with "ccache". For example, you could change
:    the "CC=3Dgcc" line in your Makefile to be "CC=3Dccache gcc".

In our case, it would mean:

	make buildworld CC=3D"/usr/local/bin/ccache cc"

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov
ru@FreeBSD.org