Date:      Sat, 05 Feb 2000 14:51:45 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install on DELL Latitude and Xircom CreditCard Ethernet

> Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 22:49:30 -0500
> From: "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I am trying to install FreeBSD 3.3 (PAO) on my DELL Latitude XPi over
> a network. The problem is that the kernel cannot seem to be able to
> find my card. The card is a Xircom CreditCard Ethernet IIps. In the
> Win98 that came on the HDD, the Ethernet card occupies IRQ 10 and I/O
> 0x110 and the PCMCIA slot is IRQ 15, I/O 0x3E0, and the range is
> 0D0000. Unfortunately, although I have this info, you can't configure
> the ex0 device in the kernel setup.
>
> I have two cards in the notebook, the Xircom and a Megahertz Modem
> XJ4336. I've swapped the cards and the modem is found when plugged
> into either slot, so I think the kernel negotiates the PCMCIA fine.
>
> What do I need to do to be able to use this Ethernet card during the
> install? Or am I doing something wrong. Other than the two cards, I
> think it's a fairly straight forward DELL Latitude with integrated
> sound and IR port sucking up IRQs,  but there should be enough for
> both cards.
>
> Kinda frustrating. I was trying to do the install using a parallel
> port PPP setup between my notebook and tower last night to no avail.
> I figured once I got my Ethernet card it would be a breeze... Well...
> *sigh*

Unfortunately the generic kernel is not built with support for the
Xircom cards. This is mostly because of conflicts with other drivers,
so you need to install FreeBSD somewhere so you can re-build the
kernel for the Xircom card. I have a desktop FreeBSD system at home
where I configure and build all kernels for my laptop.

You need to edit your configuration by un-commenting the xe device
line and commenting out the ze and zp lines. Rebuild the kernel. You
can also make other changes at this time, of course.

To get the card to work you will also need to edit the rc.conf file to
enable pccard support (see the man pages) and create a pccard.conf
file. You should be able to simply copy the /etc/pccard.conf.sample to
/etc/pccard.conf and edit it to lock down the IRQ to 10.

Once that is done, the Xircom will probably work fine, but I have
never tried on your system, so your mileage may vary.

There is a Xircom on FreeBSD mail list you might want to join. See
http://ukug.uk.freebsd.org/~scott/xe_drv/ for more information.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)