Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 20:00:14 +0200
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Secondary DNS

>What is the best way to setup secondary DNS? I have DSL w/ a
>static IP in my firewall/router. That machine is setup as the primary DNS
>server for my domain. Can I simply setup a 2nd machine inside the firewall
>to be my secondary? Or do I need a static IP for it also?

If you have only one ip, then you canīt run two public, registered DNSīs.

Each NS host needs its own ip.

If you want to experiment with zone slave, you can run a non-registered DNS
on your private net, but internet wonīt see it.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways