Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:50:00 -0700
From:      Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
To:        "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        'questions@freebsd.org'
Subject:   Re: Deleting /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11

On Oct 8, 2004, at 11:37 AM, Toomas Aas wrote:

> Hi!
>
>> I decided to remove XFree86 from my server since I don't really use it
>> and its just taking up space.  So I removed all gui ports, including
>> all of gnome and XFree86.  Done.  Now, I'm wondering if there is any
>> reason I shouldn't just delete /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11?  Aren't they
>> just taking up space?
>>
>> Are those directories part of the a base FreeBSD 4.x install?
>
> These directories seem to exist on all my 4.x servers where I've never
> explicitly installed XFree86 or any other X system. So it's probably
> safer to not touch them. (/etc/X11 is empty on my machines, though).

Thanks for the comments.  I have since discovered that in fact some
server packages, such as ImageMagick, in fact need XFree86-libraries-4
which uses /usr/X11R6.  So I just cleaned that directory of gnome as
best I could, re-installed XFree86-libraries-4, and I'm leaving it at
that.  /etc/X11 is empty now, except for my XF86Config which I will
leave there to save me the hassle of reconfiguring if I ever decide to
re-enable XFree86.

Thanks for the help!