Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:54:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Butch Evans <butch@sheltonbbs.com>
To:        Freebsd-ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   couple of questions

First of all, I want to add another disk to my server.  I will use
this disk exclusively for log files.  As you know, the logs can grow
quite large, so I wonder about the block size.  Is it better to use
a larger than 8192 block size?  Pros and cons would be helpful.

Next, I will be moving my existing logfiles to this disk.  Is
something like the following a good plan (new disk will be mounted
as /var/logs):

mv -R /var/log/* /var/logs
mv /var/log /var/log.old
ln -sf /var/logs /var/log

Is there a better method?  I don't mind losing a few lines of log
entries during the move, I am just concerned about unknown side
effects.

On a side note...does anyone have a script to clean the entries in
an apache log of the junk requests from the Code Red and Nimda
worm?  This is something I will be using in my daily maint script
until the storm starts to pass.  I am more familiar with perl than
awk or sed (or other scripting languages), so please send in that
language, if possible.

TIA

--
Butch Evans