Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:57:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael L. Squires" <mikes@siralan.org>
To:        Jon Adams <jkadams@computer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Oracle 8i on FreeBSD 5.1

Search the freebsd-messages mailing list, I think there is a web site
which discusses Oracle installations later than 7.x.

The other method I've seen discussed is to set up a LINUX box and install
on that onto an NFS mounted directory (which has the same directory path
on both the FreeBSD and LINUX boxes.

Installation of 9i and 10g are covered for various LINUX distributions on
the site www.puschitz.org; the RH ES3 instructions work fine for at least
one RH ES3 clone, WhiteBox LINUX.  All the instructions I've seen call for
installing different versions of various things, such the the libraries;
apparently Oracle looks for very specific versions during the install.

I've never tried the installation under FreeBSD, postgreSQL is more than
sufficient for me needs (since I don't need to run any Oracle-based
clients).

I have seen a note that all 8i versions are now de-supported by Oracle; I
can also personally attest that the 9i client does not work reliably with
10g in a grid environment.

Mike Squires