Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2000 16:21:31 +0100
From:      Mark Huizer <freebsd@xaa.iae.nl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: open ref counts in CAM and vn

On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 10:26:15AM +0100, Guido van Rooij wrote:
> A collegue fo mine had the problem that it was possible to
> vnconfig -u a vn device that was currently in use. This strikes
> me as odd.

When trying to add some refcounting in sys/dev/vn.c, I wanted to switch
to using the kernel module for vn, which brought another problem
forward, tried to send-pr it, but unfortunately that doesn't work with
hub being replaced temporarily.Anyway:

on a current machine:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/vntest bs=1024 count=1440
kldload vn
vnconfig -c vn0 /tmp/vntest
vnconfig -u vn0
kldunload -i SOMENUMBER (found with kldstat)
kldload vn
vnconfig -c vn0 /tmp/vntest

crash, kernelpanic,kabang, kaputt :-(

We tried to trace this back somewhere but failed.

Mark
--
Nice testing in little China...