Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:04:35 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Hal Weaver" <hweaver@pinetel.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Slow, noisey hard drive activity

> Matt, I don't get the ticking or the sluggish access with FreeBSD on the
> 1.2G hard drive where FreeBSD uses the whole drive.  Nor do these
> symptoms occur on the 5G hard drive when I use the Win98 or the Native
> Oberon operating systems, or when I had Slackware 7.1 or SuSE 6.3
> installed on the *nix partition.  The problem seems unique to the
> FreeBSD installation on the *nix partition.

Well, it could be that you've got a bad sector on the FreeBSD portion of the
drive, which is causing the drive to reset and reread the bad sector.
Depending on the drive mechanics, this could make a ticking sound as the
heads park themselves (well, maybe not park in the 80s hard drive sense, but
at least move off of the writeable surface) while the drive resets, and then
seek back to the bad location.

I don't know if FreeBSD has any native tools to check for such errors and
mark them (a la DOS's scandisk), and since I'm guessing that these drives
are ATA, you can't use the controllers' "scan media for defects" option like
you can for SCSI drives.

--
Matt Emmerton