Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 11:05:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@dc.ispro.net>, Dave Dunaway <bela@nivek.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bind and the limit of serial number ???

:You can not be sure your secondary dns servers are picking up your
:zonefile, when you update the primary.
:

    You can 'reset' (roll-over) the serial number, but when you do
    so you have to realize that the secondaries may continue to cache
    the 'old' version of the zone file all the way up to the expiration
    time of the zone in the SOA (normally 3-days to a week).

    For manual updates of the zone file, I recommend using yyyymmdd rather
    then yyyymmddhhmm, and if you modify it twice in one day just increment
    the day (and hopefully real time will catch up to it again).

    For automatic updates (i.e. scripts that update zone files), I recommend
    simply starting the serial number at 1 and incrementing it on every
    update.  Trying to make the serial number into a date for viewing ease
    is overrated.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>