Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 21:33:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, julian@whistle.com, dom@myrddin.demon.co.uk, osa@etrust.ru, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quake-client on FreeBSD-3.0 ??

> > It's OK; if you follow the DVD specific lists, then you know how
> > to change the region code on most avaiable hardware.  If your
> > hardware doesn't support this, well, shame on you...
>
> Terry..  The region code is a particular encryption of the data on the
> disk.  The various wirehead tricks for hacking players are irrelavent to a
> software DVD decoder.  You need the right encryption keys from the spec
> document to get the data and to get the spec you need to sign an NDA and
> hand over $5000 to Toshiba.

That's why I said "on most hardware".

You can buy hacked hardware, with warranties (search Altavista
for "+dvd +region +code").

For Archie's ChemBook, which is what started the discussion,
there is hardware assist; I presume there isn't any FreeBSD
drivers for the thing though; it's be too much to ask to have
someone in Germany spend $120 on V Communication's Inc.'s "Sourcer"
;-)...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---