Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 2002 20:17:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wahyu Hidayat <wahyuhid@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: running out of mbuf

--- Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com> wrote:
> Don't CC: questions and stable.  Redirecting to
> -questions.

> On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Wahyu Hidayat wrote:
>
> > Thanks for all your immediate reply.
> >
> > Sure I have raised NMBCLUSTERS (in my netstat
> shows to
> > 20480).
> >
> > What is the explanation for my previous post about
> max
> > mbufs has not reached, but it already shows about
> mbuf
> > allocation failed ? What if I increase nmbclusters
> but
> > this problems still occurs ?
>
> You should make sure you aren't experiencing network
> latency or
> degredation.... slow network causes data to bottle
> up in the kernel and
> will run you out. Are your users local or on modems?

My users on local fast ethernet networks. The traffic
come from a cat6k5 under cisco Server Load Balancing
(tm) configuration, and there is another server
running 4.6-R, which currently down because under this
circumstance it just hang, without logging any
messages.

> Otherwise, keep jacking up NMBCLUSTERS until it
> quiets or you get to
> 80,000 or so ...  after that you might consider a
> new machine to split the
> load.

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll try, and keep this
informed afterwards.

> Note you're running out of _clusters_.

Best regards
-why-