Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 2008 08:06:16 +0100
From:      Goran Lowkrantz <goran.lowkrantz@ismobile.com>
To:        pyunyh@gmail.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Regression in vr - not receiveing multicast

--On December 9, 2008 12:53:05 +0100 Goran Lowkrantz
<glz@hidden-powers.com> wrote:

> --On December 9, 2008 20:47:23 +0900 Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 10:40:17AM +0100, Goran Lowkrantz wrote:
>>  > Hi,
>>  >
>>  > in July, vr had this problem and was fixed:
>>  > <http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=125010>;
>>  > <http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=125024>;
>>  >
>>  > but now it's back again!
>>  >

>> There was just one bug fix since then and I guess the fix is not
>> related with your issue.
>>
>>  > On a system with the following:
>>  > 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #3: Thu Oct 16 12:31:04 UTC 2008
>>  >
>>  > I have to set all vr interfaces in promisc to get routing info.
>>  >
>>  > Using Quagga
>>  > # pkg_info -Ix uagga
>>  > quagga-0.99.10_3    Free RIPv1, RIPv2, OSPFv2, BGP4, IS-IS route
>> software  >
>>  > on an inner network using RIPv2
>>  > # ifmcstat -i vr0
>>  > vr0:
>>  > 	inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>>  > 		group 224.0.0.9
>>  > 			igmpv2
>>  > 			mcast-macaddr 01:00:5e:00:00:09 refcnt 1
>>  > 		group 224.0.0.1
>>  > 			mcast-macaddr 01:00:5e:00:00:01 refcnt 1
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > On the same box, we have some em devices also and they work without
>> any   > problems.
>>  >

>> There is fundamental differences between em(4) and vr(4). The
>> vr(4) for VT6105M takes advantage of perfect multicast filtering
>> feature which is not present on all em(4) interface. Perfect
>> multicast filtering can reduce unwanted multicast traffics such
>> that it could save a lot of CPU cycles. The downside is that vr(4)
>> cannot accept multicast frames for a multicast group without
>> joining the multicast group first.
>> For multicast routing purpose I guess 'options MROUTING' kernel
>> option should be enabled to accept all multicast frames.
>> Does your kernel have that option?
>
> No it has not. I will create such a beast and return with stories.

I have tried with 'options MROUTING' and it didn't work.

Did I miss something? Do I have to install and run mrouted also?

It seems like maybe the first two packages are accepted after registration
as I don't lose the routes until after about 6 min uptime. But to get
further updates, I need the interfaces in promisc.

So, next step?

/glz