Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 23:09:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      softweyr@xmissino.com
To:        Nathaniel Wayne McConathy <nathan@cslab.uky.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   User PPP feature?

Nathaniel Wayne McConathy writes:
 > Reason for problem: My ISP automatically disconnects 2 hours after
 > initial logon.  Since I dont plan (at the moment at least) to run a
 > web server, or carry news it is not a problem.  However I would
 > like to be able to access my machine from the outside world pretty
 > much all of the time. In order to do this I need to setup my
 > machine so that each time my ISP logs me off it dials up and
 > reconnects, and then mails me a copy of the netstat at one of the
 > other machines I have access to.
 >
 > My solution: Using the user PPP I configured the ppp.conf so that
 > it dials and logs onto the remote machine.  However in order to
 > have all of this run automatically I added a line to the default:
 > section of the ppp.conf that said dial <correct label>
 >
 > My problem: whenever I run the user PPP with this configuration I
 > recieve a segmentation fault error.
 >
 > Could someone confirm, explain, provide a solution to, this error.

First, you'll want to use the auto-dial feature of PPP.  Remove the
dial line, and start PPP with:

	# ppp -auto <correct label>

instead.  Set your timeout to zero; anytime you get disconnected, PPP
will attempt to automatically bring you back on-line.

You should be able to email yourself the new IP address by using a
'shell' command in your ppp.linkup file; run a shell script that mails
the output of ifconfig -a to your known outside address.

--
   Wes Peters	|
    Softweyr 	|   Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?