Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 17:52:57 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@interface-business.de
Subject:   camcontrol changes available

Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@interface-business.de> and I have made some
changes to camcontrol(8) that allow devices to be specified in a couple
of new ways.  Previously, you could only specify devices like this:

camcontrol tur -n da -u 3 -v

Now, you can specify devices like this:

camcontrol tur da3 -v
camcontrol tur 0:3 -v   [ the lun defaults to 0 here ]
camcontrol tur 0:3:0 -v

The original syntax is still fully supported, and should continue to work.

These enhancements only apply to camcontrol arguments that previously
operated with the "-n -u" syntax.  rescan, reset and debug, by design, will
still only work with bus or bus:target:lun type syntax.

Anyway, we've tested these changes and believe they work fine in all
scenarios, but it wouldn't hurt to have more people tinker with them.  So,
if anyone feels like testing it out, please do!

The changes are available now in -current and -stable.

One other change we made was to shorten the default usage statement to fit
in a 24 line terminal.  The full usage statement is available by using the
camcontrol "help", "-h", or "-?" arguments.

If you find any problems, please either send mail to the list or send mail
to _both_ Joerg and me!  (If there are problems we'll want to get them
fixed before 3.2 goes out the door on the 15th.)

Thanks,

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry