Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 10:12:26 +0200
From:      Jacques Hugo <jacques@wired.ctech.ac.za>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   some backup questions

Hi there...

I'm running some backups here to a DAT drive, but I'd like
to know if I'm doing this right or where I can improve.

This is what I usually do:

% mt -f /dev/nrst0 erase
% mt -f /dev/nrst0 retension

Is this ok?  Do I have to erase ("format ??") the
new tape everytime?

Then:

% tar -czvf /dev/nrst0 /usr/home/user

After this, do I have to write some 'eof' stuff to the
volume I backed up, or can I just continue with another
file system?

I keep log of everything I back up.  And if I want to restore
some data, I;

% mt -f /dev/nrst0 rewind
% mt -f /dev/nrst0 fsf 3 (for eg.)
% tar -xzvf /dev/nrst0

I'd like to here how you guys do it.

Thanks for the help.

-Jacques

The box said "Requires Windows 3.1 or better"
			... so I got BSD

System Administrator      | Jacques Hugo
UNIX Systems              | jacques@wired.ctech.ac.za
Cape Technikon            | +27-21-4603584