Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:19:36 -1000
From:      Robert Marella <marella@hawaii.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time to shut down this list?

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:27:08 -0600
Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz> wrote:

> Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
> >Most (all?) of the traffic on -newbies lately has been of technical
> >nature.  That's not surprising, but there are a number of reasons why
> >it's not a good idea:
> >

> These reasons (though snipped) are correct, of course.

<more snip...>

> It's certainly true that there are many other lists
> that may be more appropriate; but I also think, as
> many other posters have mentioned, that a "point of
> entry" for questions that "might be dumb" isn't
> such a bad idea, precisely because human nature
> seems to indicate that people will ask a lot of FAQs

Let us not forget how FAQs became FAQs. Sometimes an acronym takes
on a life of it's own and in this case it is sometimes misconstrued
as a *fact*. It means Frequently Asked Questions. There must be a
reason why they are frequently asked!

I have been using FreeBSD for almost a year. I absolutely love it.
My troubles were plenty when I started and I subscribed to newbies@
and lurked for a while. I realized quickly that this was not the place
to ask technical questions so I subsribed to questions@ and lurked there.

My first post to questions was very helpful. I received zero responses
and was forced to find the answer myself. A great learning experience.
I have since asked about a dozen questions and sometimes I still do
not receive a response. Questions@ is not the *end all* for answers.

I feel that there is a need for a newbies@ but it needs to provide
some help. If one was to go to a forum there are always stickies and
direct links to the FAQs. Perhaps this can be incorporated into
newbies.

My 2 seashells

Mele Kalikimaka
Robert