Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 1999 13:20:26 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        flygt@sr.se, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Timezone question

On Sunday,  4 April 1999 at  4:46:42 +0200, Gunnar Flygt wrote:
> I have a question that has nothing to do with FreeBSD, but anyway. When
> was the change to summertime in USA?

It will happen today (Sunday) at between 07:00 and 13:00 UTC.  You can
find this information in /usr/src/share/zoneinfo/northamerica: the
relevant part of the information (which is used to build the zoneinfo
files installed in /etc/localtime) is:

# Rule	NAME	FROM	TO	TYPE	IN	ON	AT	SAVE	LETTER/S
Rule	US	1967	max	-	Oct	lastSun	2:00	0	S
Rule	US	1987	max	-	Apr	Sun>=1	2:00	1:00	D

You can also find the local time anywhere with the TZ environment
variable:

  $ date
  Sun Apr  4 13:09:34 CST 1999
  $ TZ=Europe/Stockholm date
  Sun Apr  4 05:39:43 CEST 1999
  $ TZ=America/Chicago date
  Sat Apr  3 21:39:54 CST 1999
  $

Note the imaginative time zone abbreviations, some of which I think
are just plain wrong.

> The reason I'm asking is that I have an application that runs on NT (I
> know :-) that for some reason got hickups this night at 02.00. The only
> reason I can see, is that the code maybe somewhere is relating to summer
> time of some other kind than what we've got in Europe. We changed one
> week ago.

You need to be sure that NT has the correct time zone information.
Windows 95% doesn't for our time zone (South Australia, abbreviated
SA).  It thinks that the time change was at the beginning of March,
when in fact it was at the end of March.  The version I have also
seems to think that SA reaches all the way to the north of the
continent, eliminating the Northern Territory: it believes that NT
doesn't exist :-)

Greg