Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 10:15:34 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Chris Timmons <skynyrd@tahoma.cwu.edu>
Cc:        Rashid Karimov <rashid@rk.ios.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: de0: receiver: FIFO overflow PROBLEM.

<<On Wed, 3 Jul 1996 01:57:02 -0700 (PDT), Chris Timmons <skynyrd@tahoma.cwu.edu> said:

> Running at 100mb, I can perform a successful NFS installation of 2.1R on
> machine B from A every time.

> When I try to NFS install a 2.2-SNAP (tried the last 2) onto machine B,
> things fail with "de0: FIFO overflow" on the client machine (machine B).
> This happens not far into the extraction process - maybe in the bin
> distribution.

The same thing is happening no matter which version you install; 2.2
is the first version which actually bothers to tell you about these
errors rather than silently counting them and pretending nothing was
wrong.

What the FIFO overflow error indicates is that the NIC could not get
control of the PCI bus quickly enough to transfer the incoming packet
to memory before the FIFO which is used for temporary storage ran out
of space.  There are a number of possible causes:

1) Something else is hogging the PCI bus.  Check your latency timer
setting in the BIOS.

1.5) The latency timer is too short, so your NIC is getting kicked off
at a particularly inopportune moment.

2) Your PCI bus arbitration is just too slow.

3) Your NIC is too slow (doubtful).

We have only seen FIFO overflows from these chips when running on a
known-slow-and-broken Orion-based motherboard.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.