Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2001 13:49:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        ertr1013@student.uu.se
Subject:   Re: time_t definition is worng

In article <20010602222626.A26556@student.uu.se>,
Erik Trulsson  <ertr1013@student.uu.se> wrote:

> I did a bit of searching in the archives and it seems that this very
> question was discussed on the freebsd-alpha list in late Dec./early Jan
> 1998/1999.  As expected there doesn't seem to have been any consensus
> on what the "right" thing is. (Since there obviously are valid
> arguments on both sides.)
>
> One thing that was mentioned in that discussion though was that FFS
> uses time_t in some of the on-disk structures. This means that one
> should probably be careful when changing the size of time_t to stay
> compatible with existing filesystems.

Hmm, that's an excellent point.  Thank you for researching the
previous discussions.

Since only the kernel mess with the filesystem bits directly, the fact
that a 32-bit time_t is used in FFS needn't be a show-stopper for
moving to a 64-bit type in userland.  (A few utilities such as newfs,
fsck, and tunefs might need to be tweaked too.)  Though if we didn't
eventually increase time_t's size in FFS too, it wouldn't do us much
good to widen it anywhere else.

John