Date:      Sat, 20 Aug 2005 23:56:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "albi" <albi@scii.nl>
To:        "Everett Batey" <efbatey@gmail.com>
Cc:        UUASC Unix Users So Calif <uuasc@uuasc.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need some Help

> Currently have a not too successful install of FBSD 5.4.  Tried both
> XFree and Xorg for a GUI to replace my obsolete earlier installs for
> Qmail, Apache Web, DNS and X-Windows.
-- cut --
> AMD Sempron, native VGA, little luck except with Win2K (ughhh) and
> Knoppix.

whenever i have problems with configuring X i take a knoppix-3.8-cdrom,
boot it, and then save the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, copy it to my
FreeBSD (5.x or 6.x) as /etc/X11/xorg.conf

comment out the line
# Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"

change the mouse-section into this :

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option          "Protocol"              "SysMouse"
        # Option                "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"

and ... that always does it! :)