Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2012 21:49:06 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: how to update ports while using pkgng?

--------------enig967C6CE099E4876C0FD0B5F7

On 16/09/2012 21:10, Marcelo Gondim wrote:
> Em 16/09/2012 14:42, Sergey V. Dyatko escreveu:
>> On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 08:48:09 -0300
>> Marcelo Gondim <gondim@bsdinfo.com.br> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I use "portsnap fetch update" and "portmaster" to update my ports.
>>>
>> with pkgng ? :/
>=20
> Nope, because pkgng update only binary packages.

A pkg is what you get by compiling and installing a port.  So even if
you never download anything other than source code which you religiously
compile yourself using the ports, your system will still end up full of
pkgs.

pkgng is not just about binary pkg distribution systems: it's also about
managing the software installed on your system.  It changes the package
registry completely -- using sqlite, rather than a bunch of files and
directories under /var/db/pkg -- and all the Makefile bits under
/usr/ports/Mk that deal with registering new packages and so forth.

This means that any software designed to interact with the ports tree
will quite likely need to be modified to operate correctly in a
pkgng-enabled system.  portmaster is no exception, except that unlike
most other ports-related software, the author of portmaster has not
accepted patches for pkgng support to be incorporated directly into his
code or into the portmaster port, so it is necessary to download and
apply a patch from github separately:

https://github.com/pkgng/pkgng/blob/master/ports/patch-portmaster-pkgng

See the FAQ for instructions:
https://github.com/pkgng/pkgng/blob/master/FAQ.md#15

With the patch applied you can used portmaster as usual and (almost)
everything will work exactly as before.  Some of the output will change,
since pkgng produces different output while working compared to
pkg_tools.  Also pkgng-enabled portmaster doesn't support creating a
cache of pre-compiled packages yet.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20