Date:      Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:27:47 +0100
From:      Rolf G Nielsen <listreader@lazlarlyricon.com>
To:        yuri@rawbw.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is KDE4 usable on FreeBSD?

Yuri wrote:
> Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>>
>> it's SLOW and resource hungry - giving nothing else than a good look.
>> that's why i compare it to windoze.
>>
>> and why you need "desktop" (whatever it means) at all?
>
> You  need desktop for Unix (Linux) to be adopted by simple users.
> Also GUI makes life much easier even for advanced users.
> I don't want to deal command lines/config files for mundane
> things like finding and setting up wireless networks, playing
> CDs/DVDs, etc. GUI integrated with desktop would make this
> much less time consuming.

If I need to (re)configure the behaviour of som app or part of the
system, I edit the appropriate config file, which takes about a minute
or two...

If a user of some fancy desktop with lots of whistles and bells wants to
do the same, he/she has to browse through an extensive hierarchy of
categories and subcategories to get to the setting he/she wants to
change. That hierarchy is more than often far from intuitive, so that
very same task may take ten minutes or more.

In what way is the latter easier than the first? I see none...