Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:32:32 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jake <jake@checker.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a standard way to start vinum?

On Sunday, 10 January 1999 at 12:39:37 -0800, Jake wrote:
> Can we have stubs to start vinum added to /etc/rc and /etc/rc.conf ?

Yes.

> Something like:
>
> in rc.conf :
>
> vinum_enable="YES"      # Run the vinum volume manager (or NO).
> vinum_device="/dev/wd0s1e"      # Drive to get config info from.
>
> and rc :
>
> # Configure vinum devices.
> if [ "X${vinum_enable}" = X"YES" ]; then
>         vinum read ${vinum_device}
> fi

Yes, this sounds pretty reasonable.  In the near future, the `read'
command will change and will require the names of *all* vinum slices
(this is the only way to allow moving them around).

> swapon -a
>
> Assuming that "vinum read ${device}" and "vinum create ${config_file}"
> are identical,

This is not just a bad idea, it's just plain wrong.

> something like
>
> if [ -f /etc/vinum.conf ]; then
> 	vinum create /etc/vinum.conf
> fi
>
> might be more desireable, just in case the on disk info gets
> scrambled.

That's a recovery strategy, not a configuration method.  It's also
dangerous.  What happens if the disks get moved around?

> This happened to me last night ( no idea why :) ) and I was saved by
> the virtue that my config file was still hanging around.

If you have problems like this, please report them.  One reason might
be if you issued two read commands.  A fix for that, and many other
ways of shooting yourself in the foot, is under way.

Greg