Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 13:54:39 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/www/ijb - Imported sources

On Mon, May 04, 1998 at 04:24:42AM -0700, sos@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

> > > I think that those that put adds on the pages are the bad guys, they
> > > STEAL my bandwith and MY money form the extra connection time it takes to
> > > download, so it should be under AATT ('Automated Anti Theft Tool!)
> >
> > They're also providing the content of the page.  If you consider the ads
> > bothersome - then don't view pages containing ads!
>
> Thats exactly what this is about, now I got a tool that can automate
> this for me, great !!

You're dropping the _entire_ pages?  Or you want to grab the content and
avoid the bothersome ads?  (Yes, I agree that they're bothersome.  I've just
not seen any alternative I don't feel as even _more_ bothersome.)

>> I'll say it again:  The ads are paying for the service.  If you drop
>> watching the ads, then you provide less payback to those that develop
>> free services, and thus less opportunity (and possibly less incentive).
>> If you use this kind of software, you're asking for more services to go
>> for membership only.
>
> I'll say it again, THIS IS A FREE WORLD, and nobody can dictate that you
> should download the adds period. If that means that some of those "poor"
> suckers doing "free" websites have to close, well so be it, its not the
> end of the world, its a victory damn it!

Ah - so you don't want websites to provide free content, such as what e.g.
www.news.com provides? How do you want your content, then?

And I agree that dictating that you download ads is effectively impossible.
I won't let that stop me from saying that I think not downloading ads is an
unwise move, and that I think you're leeching.  These are my opinions; I can
build a fairly reasonable case for them being equal to the same opinions WRT
software.

> Its obvious that you must be affiliated with one of those companies
> doing this kind of business to have this attitude.

I have friends that work in that business, sure.  I don't personally work
with it, but I've gotten my attitude (after starting out somewhat like you,
wanting to get rid of all those annoying ads) after having talked to
intelligent people with the opposite viewpoint, and then having spent time
thinking about the consequences of filtering becoming widespread.

I don't like those consequences - I want variety on the free part of the
net, and producing content costs money.  If all the free part of the web
contains is private homepages, we've IMO lost the battle - the net didn't
make it.

That would, again in my opinion, be a great loss.

Eivind.