Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:24:46 +0100
From:      "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Trouble starting MySQL [SOLVED] [CLOSED]

Earlier today I said:
>> Greetings all,
>> I installed MySQL from ports (mysql-4.1.7)
>> then tried to start it. Nothing doing - wo way.
>>
>> Starting it from /usr/loca/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh nothing happens. No
>> error message is emitted, but no running instance of mysql either.
>
> You may need to set a variable in /etc/rc.conf such as:
>  MySQL="YES"
mysql_enable="yes"
That is mentioned in /usr/loca/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh
It is now in /etc/rc.conf
That however didn't solve the problem - or as far as I am or was aware.
Instead I started the MySQL server from Webmin and it's running just
fine.

The next issue was getting php to recognize the existence of MySQL.
Several steps later this is in essence what was done:

I deinstalled php4 and also php4-extensions. Stopped httpd altogether.

Reinstalled php4 and as many extensions as possible (although some
libmagic thing halted the 100% installation of the extensions, so I sent
debug info to the maintainer as directed by screen output)

The reinstall was unremarkable, in that nothing that I could see varied
from the first time out - OTHER THAN - as said, the halt in extensions
that didn't happen first time.

Restarted httpd and puled up a phpinfo.php page and suddenly there was
some mention of mysql for the first time.

I just don't have any clue what I did;
a) wrongly at first
and then
b) correctly later

So it *seems* matters are resolved, although I'm not 100% certain. I
assume it's solved because phpinfo displays awareness of MySQL.

Warm thanks to one and all who have jumped in on this today, it's now
solved and closed (for the archives, that is) This wouldn't have
happened without the list crew.

Until the next problem then....

Regards,
-Colin